Monday, 27 January 2014

Review: Chiswick, Woollahra

Matt Moran's Chiswick Restaurant is ah-mazing!! And I am kicking myself that I have only just dined there - almost two years after it first opened. Many celebrities have been spotted at Chiswick and the prospect of bumping into into one, in particular Miranda Kerr, only added to the excitement of our food adventure. Unfortunately, there was no celebrity spotting for us, or maybe we were too distracted by the delicious food. Being in a Master Chef's restaurant, Chiswick has the class of fine dining but with the shared-style menu, mismatched chairs and friendly waiters, it had all the warmth of home cooking. No pretentious under-sized over-priced meals here, so no need for drive through Maccas on the way home ;-p. It's not just the food that is aesthetically pleasing either. White French doors looking out onto manicured hedges - it's my dream home!!

We arrived right on 12pm, opening time and were greeted by not one, but five smiling faces. Our reservation required us to vacate by 2pm, but the place was running like a well-oiled machine, I had no doubt of our ability to meet this deadline.

Being Chiswick's signature dish, with produce sourced directly from the Moran family farm and the fact that it was Australia Day, we couldn't go passed the wood roasted Moran family lamb, which is brined and then slow cooked for four hours in a wood-fire oven. Since this dish comes with chickpeas and is designed to feed 3-4 people, we decided to skip entrees and just go for sides of hand cut chips with lemon thyme aioli and steamed greens with lemon and olive oil. I have got to say, the lamb exceeded all expectations. I don't think I can ever eat lamb again unless I go back to Chiswick. Although the dish comes with a carving knife, a knife is not required at all. The meat is so tender, it just falls off the bone. I was so glad that Mr MA was my plus one on this occasion, because if I'd gone with anyone else, I would've embarrassed myself by asking for a doggy bag. With Mr MA there, we managed to polish off every single morsel of food - even the waiter congratulated us on our efforts. I noticed a table over from us, two ladies ordering the lamb and they raised the white flag quite early, not even finishing half the lamb. I could have cried at the wasted food.


For dessert, we had to order the mango passionfruit pavlova for Australia Day and the Chiswick signature hazelnut rocher, which was a mousse-like dessert with a crunchy praline base topped with hazelnuts served with a quenelle of ice cream. It tasted exactly like a Ferrero Rocher!! Both desserts were light, sweet, but balanced enough that I could've just kept eating them forever. I was so sad when the meal ended, because everything was perfect, I couldn't fault any of it. I cannot wait to go back!!

Details:
Chiswick Restaurant
65 Ocean Road
Woollahra NSW 2025

Book online:
www.chiswickrestaurant.com.au

Disclaimer: All information correct as at date of dining. All items were paid for by the reviewer and Chiswick wasn't aware that this review was going to be written.

Chiswick on Urbanspoon


2 comments:

  1. I love Chiswick! We actually drove past there on Australia Day en route to a BBQ and my husband turned to me and said - so wish we were eating there instead of the lamb chops we were about to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha!! I can imagine. Oh, so you've been there before? Have you written a review? I haven't seen it. Surprisingly, it's quite a family friendly establishment. I saw several little kids/babies and they didn't seem out of place. Don't think I heard even one cry. I could tell that some of the kiddies were return customers, as they arrived clutching footballs and went with "dad" onto the lawn out the front for a kick around, while waiting for food to come out. Obviously they are lacking a kids' menu but I'm sure most kids would be happy with a slider (probably the right size for them anyway) and/or a plate of chips :-).

      Delete